Saturday 18 May 2013

Let Me Spread My Wings....

I am born into this world a few days ago. I can feel my mother's touch - her feathers spread around me, giving me the warmth, care and assurance that everything is fine. That I am safe. I can feel the gentle breeze flowing around me. I hear the sound of leaves rustling in the air. Here I am in my nest, near my mom, with dreams in my eyes, and hope in my heart ! Dreams of flying high some day ! Dreams of moving through the clouds, and feeling the wind with my wings ! I can't wait to start flying.  I want to feel the thrill of spreading my wings, and reaching great heights !
Sitting in my home (nest), I feel like the luckiest bird in the world. Luckier than dogs, or cats, or even human beings. "What do they know of flying ?!", I think to myself.... Its night time and all the fellow birds have slept.
I now close my eyes, thinking of catching some sleep.
"Its gone.... everything is gone...!", is the first thought that comes to my mind as I open my eyes the next morning.  My mother's embrace, the breeze around me, the rustling sound of leaves....
"Where am I ? " , I ask myself ! All I see around me is a tiny room (which humans call 'cage', I think). This room is made of metal wires, It is circular in shape. There is a stick placed horizontally  through the wires, for me to stand. There are two bowls, one having some grains and the other having water. "I am caged ! Oh No ! I am caged !", I say to myself ! This can't be happening to me ! What about my dreams ? What about spreading my wings ? What about flying through the clouds ? And seeing the land from great heights ?
I am restless now .... I start screaming... I try my best to break open the horrific wires that surround me ! The cage moves in all directions because of my effort.... The water in the bowl spills, and the grains fall all over the place.... I don't care .... All I want is to break free....
Suddenly, I see a pair of eyes, staring at me and speaking something in some language I don't understand. I am not listening.... I realize that the pair of eyes belong to a human.... In some moments, I am surrounded by more humans. They seem to be pleased and amused to see me in this condition. They are smiling, and laughing....  One of them even begins taking my photographs....
It is still sinking into my head. The harsh reality that I have been taken away from my world... That I am imprisoned for no fault of mine, by someone whom I never harmed. That I am just a source of entertainment for the people around. A show piece, something with whom people stand and take pictures....I am here wondering is this how my entire life will be ?
I can hear my heart screaming ....'Help me .... I want to be free... All I ask is for my birth right... to be able to fly....'

My message to all those listening.... "Please don't cage us birds.... A Cage is like slow death for us....Our dreams are killed first, then are mind, and finally our soul ...."


No comments:

Post a Comment

So Many Distractions!

I wake up in the morning and check my phone for the time. I switch on the internet, and my phone starts beeping to the notifications of What...