Sunday 5 May 2013

SHILLONG - The Fairy Tale Land I Grew Up In !

Brought up in the tiny city of Shillong, the memories of my childhood are still clear in my mind. Very few people are lucky to have spend many years in a lovely hill station,  in the midst of ample blessings of  Mother Nature. I must say I am one of those lucky few :-)

Shillong is a small city situated in the North Eastern part of India.

About my life there.... I lived  in the University quarters, as my dad worked as a Professor in NEHU.  The quarters were situated in a place surrounded with Pine trees, Orange and Plum trees !! Collecting pine cones and painting them with bright colors was something I loved doing ! I'm sure I still have some of those painted cones in my cupboard at home..

I remember experiencing all the four seasons in Shillong, each season being special in its own way. Each one leaving behind a distinct flavor, that has stayed with me till today. Spring came with the promise of life ,color and freshness. Baby pink buds on trees- blooming into flowers, grass turning into a fresh shade of green, my garden becoming a plethora of colorful flowers. This was the time when my school re-opened after a long three month winter vacation. Spring was the time to exchange the holiday stories with friends at school ...Going back to school, which was situated beside The Lady Hydari Park, was something I looked forward to. The park could be seen from my school. There were beautiful beds of colorful flowers, small ponds where families of swans swam, kids playing, people walking.... all this being visible from my play ground.

Then came the Summer season. Orchards in full bloom, butterflies and dragon flies flying everywhere, birds - sparrows and mynahs chirping all around, this was a bright season ! Walking along the muddy trail through the lush green NEHU Campus, to my dad's office was something I looked forward to on weekends. Having 'Garam Chai' with him in the Kong's shops near by is a sweet memory now...

The next season Autumn came and let me know of its arrival by making the leaves of the trees turn golden brown. The flowers that filled the trees dried and fell off. Autumn brought with it a change from bright colors to more sober ones. Watching the clear blue sky during this time was breath taking, the images of which are still crystal clear in my mind.

With the end of Autumn came Winter. Time for exams to get over and holidays to start ! Temperatures fell to single digits. People could be seen burning Koyla (coal) and wood, and heating themselves up. Sitting by the burning wood with family, and having a chit chat was like an occasion everyone looked forward to.  Mobile phones, computers were not common those days. There was more quality time to be spend with family, and friends.  The Winter season also meant it was Christmas time.  Going to a small, well decorated gift shop in Laitumkhrah, selecting cards for family and friends, writing and sending them across was an activity my sisters and I did during December. Dad helped , of course ..

Shillong has a cosmopolitan culture. People from various parts of India live here. I had neighbors and friends from Tamil Nadu, Kerala, UP, Orissa, West Bengal, Punjab, Kashmir, to name a few. Growing up in such a diverse society has helped me become open to new cultures, their lifestyle and food. I enjoy having 'Potol fry', just as much as i enjoy Parathas or Idlis !

Its been many years since I left Shillong and I am not sure when I can go there next. But I carry this town with me wherever I go, in a safe place - IN MY HEART !

This is the city that made me ME !

Shillong - You shall always remain an important part of my life !!

3 comments:

  1. While reading the article,I felt as if I was in Shillong!!!:)..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe :-) thanks fr taking time to read :-)

    ReplyDelete

So Many Distractions!

I wake up in the morning and check my phone for the time. I switch on the internet, and my phone starts beeping to the notifications of What...